Since its launch over 10 years ago, Instagram has grown from being just another social media platform to one of the most popular apps on earth with hundreds of millions of active users daily.
Initially created to be a photo-sharing social networking service, through the years, Instagram has evolved and added multiple features such as messaging, live streaming, stories, and now even an e-commerce arm.
If you’re still not on Instagram, it’s never too late to sign up. And if you still need a little more convincing, we’ve gathered some of the most important Instagram statistics and facts that will surely convince you.
If you’re a business or marketer, make sure to take down some notes.
Quick Instagram Statistics
- The social media platform has over 1 billion monthly active users.
- 71% of Instagram users are under the age of 35.
- 500 million users are active on Instagram Stories daily.
- Brand engagement on Instagram is 10 times higher compared to Facebook.
- 50.8% of Instagram users are female, 49.2% are male.
- There are over 25 million brands on Instagram.
- Over 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile daily.
- Time spent watching videos on Instagram increased by 80%.
- The typical Instagram Business account publishes at least 1 post per day.
- 60% of Instagram users say that they discover new products through Instagram.
How Popular is Instagram?
- Instagram hit a billion users in 2018
Now with over 1 billion monthly active users, Instagram is the 5th most popular social media platform in the world.
- Instagram is the 5th most downloaded app in iOS and Google Play
In terms of downloads, Instagram is currently outranked by Facebook Messenger, Facebook, Whatsapp, and TikTok.
- Instagram is the 6th most visited website in the world
Even if Instagram is more commonly accessed through its app, the social media platform gets 6.1 billion visitors via web monthly as of 2020. This number is a whopping 89% growth compared to the previous year.
- Users spend an average of 30 minutes per day on the platform
Compared to other social media platforms, Instagram experienced the biggest jump in usage from 2019 to 2020. This may be a result of the stay-at-home orders brought about by the pandemic. Features such as Instagram Stories and Live served as a window to the world.
- Instagram made 6.8 billion dollars in revenue in 2020
According to Statista, this number has almost doubled compared to its estimated revenue of 3.3 billion during the 2nd quarter of 2019. Like Facebook, Instagram makes money through advertising.
More About Instagram Users
- Instagram has a global reach
As of January 2021, India and the US have the most number of Instagram users, both with 140 million. The number of US users has grown by 8% since the third quarter of 2020. This number is expected to grow consistently in all countries.
- The “Like” button is tapped an average of 4.2 billion times per day
This comes to no surprise as Instagram users are known to be more engaged than those on other social media platforms.
- Over 60% of users visit Instagram at least once a day
A big percentage of Instagram users check their apps multiple times a day!
- Kazakhstan is the country with the highest Instagram user percentage
Despite not being in the top 20 countries with most users, 78.7% of Kazakhstan’s population are on Instagram. If you’re a local brand looking for the perfect platform to launch and sell products, Instagram is the obvious way to go.
Other countries with the biggest Instagram user percentage include:
- Brunei – 70.5%
- Turkey – 68.4%
- Iceland – 66.5%
- Sweden – 66.5%
- Majority of Instagram users are between the ages of 24 and 35
33% of Instagram users are between 24-35, while 29.8% are between 18-24. Less than half of Instagram’s users are above the age of 35.
As of 2020, Instagram is considered the 2nd most popular app for American teenagers, just behind video streaming app, TikTok.
Brand Discovery and Engagement on Instagram
- 58% of people become more interested in a brand after seeing it on Stories
If your brand is not publishing content on Instagram Stories just yet, now’s the time to hop on board.
- 70% of shoppers look to Instagram for brand discovery
With its introduction of new e-commerce features, shoppers no longer have to leave the platform to make a purchase.
- Influencer marketing is one of the most effective marketing strategies
According to Instagram Shopping, 87% of consumers have been inspired by influencers to purchase a product. Already a $2 billion industry, influencer marketing spend is projected to grow even more by 15% this year.
- Stories ads shot on mobile outperform studio-shot ads by 63%
In other words, ads that don’t really look like ads are more effective than polished, professionally-edited ads.
To succeed on Instagram, you have to produce content that’s optimized for the platform and doesn’t disrupt a user’s scrolling experience.
- Video posts receive more engagement than photos
While Instagram was initially created solely for images, much has changed in 10 years. Today, the key to driving more engagement is videos. With the launch of Instagram Reels and with other options like IGTV and Stories, you have plenty of formats and methods to experiment with!
These Instagram statistics and facts spell it out loud and clear — Instagram is a gold mine for brands and advertisers.
The social media platform is growing every day, introducing new features, and building a one-stop-shop for users to discover, browse, and purchase products. As a brand, you have to keep up. Let these numbers not only inspire you but also guide you in creating content that resonates with your audience.