Spotify Statistics & Facts – A Quick Snapshot:
⚡ Spotify is currently the world’s most popular music streaming service with over 1 billion downloads in Google Play Store alone.
👦 The total number of Spotify monthly active users is currently about 365 million across 178 different markets.
🎵 The total number of Spotify subscribers is currently around 165 million.
🎸 There are more than 70 million tracks and 4 billion playlists on Spotify.
💰 Spotify worth is estimated to be around $72 billion.
📈 Spotify is the global market leader among all music streaming services with a 36% market share.
💵 Estimated Spotify revenue for 2021 is about $9 billion.
⌛ The World spent more than 40.3 billion hours, 1.68 billion days and 4.6 million years listening to Spotify.
✨ Spotify was founded in Sweden.
Even though Spotify is already the world’s most popular music streaming service, it just keeps growing. Earlier this year, it announced plans to expand to 80+ new markets around the world and add 36 languages to the platform.
That’s just the start.
According to estimates, Spotify is set to reach 98.8 million users in the U.S. by 2023.
To better understand this company’s growth, let’s go over the latest Spotify statistics.
- Spotify Statistics & Facts – A Quick Snapshot:
- Top Spotify Stats
- Statistics for Spotify User Demographics
- Statistics for User Behavior on Spotify
- Spotify Popularity by Region
- Spotify Market Trends
- Spotify Revenue Numbers
- Statistics about Spotify Content
- Other Interesting Facts About Spotify
- Final Takeaway
Top Spotify Stats
Overall, Spotify has seen strong, steady growth since its launch in 2008. Here are some numbers to put its progress in perspective:
- The Spotify app just surpassed 1 billion downloads in the Play Store (as of May, 2021).
- Currently, it has 365 million users, including 165 million subscribers.
- Over the years, Spotify hasn’t seen any big leaps in subscriptions. Instead, it’s won over new customers steadily, from 18 million in 2015 to 165 million in 2021:
How Many People Have Spotify Premium?
Spotify premium subscribers by quarter (in millions)
How Many People Use Spotify?
Spotify number of users (monthly active users and premium subscribers) in millions
|Quarter and Year||Monthly Active Users (MAU)||Premium Subscribers|
- Spotify now serves 178 markets, after adding 80+ new markets in early 2021.
What Countries Is Spotify Available In?
- 40.3 billion+ hours is the total time the world has spent listening to Spotify globally.
- Spotify’s total valuation is $72 billion and it has paid $25 billion to rights holders since launch.
- With 70 million tracks, 4 billion playlists and 2.6 podcast titles, it’s no wonder subscriptions are up.
Statistics for Spotify User Demographics
On the whole, Spotify is most popular with young people. Over half of Spotify’s user base is under the age of 35.
Here are some other key numbers about Spotify’s users:
- 29% of Spotify users are millennials, while 26% of them are under 24 years old.
- Spotify is also popular with seniors, with 19% of the user base over the age of 55+.
- In terms of gender, 56% of Spotify users are male and 44% are female.
Statistics for User Behavior on Spotify
Generally speaking, users on Spotify are quite active with 44% of them using Spotify on a daily basis.
Get a sense of user behavior with these statistics:
- The average Spotify user listens to tracks 25 hours a month.
- Listening to Spotify on a smartphone is especially popular, with 54% of users tuning in from their mobile device.
- 45% of listeners switched to Spotify from Pandora.
- 55% users have registered on Spotify via their Facebook accounts.
- On average, users listen to Spotify for 148 minutes every day.
- A Premium subscriber consumes about 2.4MB per minute on Spotify.
- A user devotes time to 40 artists weekly.
Spotify Popularity by Region
Spotify is quickly expanding into new markets worldwide.
Europe is Spotify’s #1 most popular region, though other regions are steadily growing.
To put this in perspective, check out these numbers:
- Europe has 35% of Spotify’s user base.
- According to early 2021 numbers, Spotify has approximately 121 million users in Europe, 83 million in North America, 76 million in Latin America and 66 million in the rest of the world.
- Spotify is the #1 used app for listening to podcasts in the US.
- The U.S. currently has 78.5 million Spotify users – and counting.
- North Americans have the highest daily usage time at 140 minutes, while Europe has the lowest daily usage times of 99 minutes.
Spotify Market Trends
Spotify continues to lead the music streaming market.
In fact, it holds 36% of the world’s market share, with the closest competitor Apple Music at 18% market share:
In addition, here are some other numbers about Spotify’s presence on the market:
- Spotify predicts reaching 407-427 million monthly active users globally by 2021.
- Spotify is set to surpass other top competitors in the coming years, with predictions of reaching 98.8 million users in the U.S. by 2023, as shown below:
Spotify Revenue Numbers
Finally, Spotify uses both Premium subscriptions and ads to generate revenue.
Subscriptions make up the largest portion, with $8.15 billion generated of the total $9 billion:
Spotify Revenue By Year and Segment
In million euros
|Year||Revenue from Subscribers||Revenue from Ads|
Spotify Total Revenue by Quarter 2016 – 2021
|Quarter and Year||Revenue (in million EUR)|
|Q2 2017||1 007|
|Q3 2017||1 032|
|Q4 2017||1 145|
|Q1 2018||1 139|
|Q2 2018||1 273|
|Q3 2018||1 352|
|Q4 2018||1 495|
|Q1 2019||1 511|
|Q2 2019||1 667|
|Q3 2019||1 731|
|Q4 2019||1 855|
|Q1 2020||1 848|
|Q2 2020||1 889|
|Q3 2020||1 975|
|Q4 2020||2 168|
|Q1 2021||2 147|
|Q2 2021||2 331|
Statistics about Spotify Content
What are the Spotify top tracks? Who tops the Spotify charts?
To wrap up, here are some numbers about Spotify artists and content:
- 100+ songs have passed 1 billion streams on Spotify.
- Spotify added 1,700,000 new podcasts in 2020 alone.
- 60,000 new songs added to Spotify each day as of 2021, equivalent to 22 million per year.
- Nearly 20% of songs available on the app have never been played.
- 50% of Spotify’s top 20 most followed playlists are personalized.
- Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” is the most streamed song in Spotify’s history with 2.7 billion listens.
- Globally, the Joe Rogan Experience is the #1 popular podcast on Spotify.
- 0.006 – $0.0084 per Spotify stream – this is the amount an artist will receive roughly for a track played for a minimum of 30 seconds.
While top artists and songs change on a weekly and monthly basis, here are the artists with the most monthly listeners of all time on Spotify:
Spotify Top Artists
Most Played Songs on Spotify
|Song||Artist||Streams (in millions)|
|Shape of You||Ed Sheeran||2.94|
|The Weeknd||Blinding Lights||2.56|
|Dance Monkey||Tones and I||2.37|
|Rockstar||Post Malone feat. 21 Savage||2.28|
|One Dance||Drake feat. Wizkid and Kyla||2.14|
|Closer||The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey||2.12|
|Someone You Loved||Lewis Capaldi||2.11|
|Sunflower||Post Malone and Swae Lee||2.06|
|Señorita||Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello||1.96|
|Bad Guy||Billie Eilish||1.89|
Spotify Genre Statistics
What are Spotify top genres?
This is obviously an interesting question, but there is no verifiable data on Spotify music genres popularity available at the moment (at least something we know about).
There is information on Spotify podcasts genres though.
Thus, Spotify in their “The Trends That Shaped Streaming in 2020” report, stated that the top podcast genres on their platform are:
- Society and Culture
- Lifestyle and Health
- Arts and Entertainment
As for the music genres, we can look at the most favorite music genres in the World provided by IFPI in their Music Consumer Insight Report:
We think the list of the most popular Spotify music genres is likely to be similar to IGPI’s ranking provided above.
Other Interesting Facts About Spotify
- To celebrate the release of “Stranger Things” new season, Spotify created a visually similar user interface of the Upside Down World. The feature would appear when listening to the series soundtrack.
- Even though Spotify users can create playlists through any device, these playlists may only be edited through desktop apps: editing the cover photo or description, reorganizing and deleting songs, etc.
- Desktop app users can share any track by dragging it to any messaging or text platform.
- When signing up for Spotify with your Facebook account, you see the list of your Facebook friends who are Spotify users too. If Facebook friends follow each other on Spotify, they will have access to their playlists and recently played artists.
- By choosing songs that hold a steady bpm, Spotify will pick perfect tracks for your morning run.
It’s clear that Spotify is a strong market leader with steady growth worldwide. As Spotify expands into 80+ new markets this year, these numbers are sure to spike. Will they reach the goal of 407-427 million monthly active users globally this year? We’ll have to wait and see.