Even though Spotify is already the world’s most popular music streaming service, it just keeps growing. Earlier this year, it announced plans to expand to 80+ new markets around the world and add 36 languages to the platform.
That’s just the start.
According to estimates, Spotify is set to reach 98.8 million users in the U.S. by 2023.
To better understand this company’s growth, let’s go over the latest Spotify statistics.
Top Spotify Statistics
Overall, Spotify has seen strong, steady growth since its launch in 2008. Here are some numbers to put its progress in perspective:
- The Spotify app just surpassed 1 billion downloads in the Play Store (as of May, 2021).
- Currently, it has 356 million users, including 158 million subscribers.
- It now serves 178 markets, after adding 80+ new markets in early 2021.
- 40.3 billion hours is the total time the world has spent listening to Spotify worldwide.
- Spotify’s total valuation is $72 billion and has paid $25 billion to rights holders since launch.
- With 70 million tracks, 4 billion playlists and 2.6 podcast titles, it’s no wonder subscriptions are up.
Over the years, Spotify hasn’t seen any big leaps in subscriptions. Instead, it’s won over new customers steadily, from 18 million in 2015 to 158 million in 2021:
Statistics for Spotify User Demographics
On the whole, Spotify is most popular with young people. Over half of Spotify’s user base is under the age of 35.
Here are some other key numbers about Spotify’s users:
- 29% of Spotify users are millennials, while 26% of them are under 24 years old.
- Spotify is also popular with seniors, with 19% of the user base over the age of 55+.
- In terms of gender, 56% of Spotify users are male and 44% are female.
Statistics for User Behavior on Spotify
Generally speaking, users on Spotify are quite active with 44% of them using Spotify on a daily basis.
Get a sense of user behavior with these statistics:
- The average Spotify user listens to tracks 25 hours a month.
- Listening to Spotify on a smartphone is especially popular, with 54% of users tuning in from their mobile device.
- 45% of listeners switched to Spotify from Pandora.
- 55% users have registered on Spotify via their Facebook accounts.
- On average, users listen to Spotify for 148 minutes every day.
- A Premium subscriber consumes about 2.4MB per minute on Spotify.
- A user devotes time to 40 artists weekly.
Spotify Popularity by Region
Spotify is quickly expanding into new markets worldwide.
Europe is Spotify’s #1 most popular region, though other regions are steadily growing.
To put this in perspective, check out these numbers:
- Europe has 35% of Spotify’s user base.
- According to early 2021 numbers, Spotify has approximately 121 million users in Europe, 83 million in North America, 76 million in Latin America and 66 million in the rest of the world.
- Spotify is the #1 used app for listening to podcasts in the US.
- The U.S. currently has 78.5 million Spotify users – and counting.
- North Americans have the highest daily usage time at 140 minutes, while Europe has the lowest daily usage times of 99 minutes.
Spotify Market Trends
Spotify continues to lead the music streaming market.
In fact, it holds 36% of the world’s market share, with the closest competitor Apple Music at 18% market share:
In addition, here are some other numbers about Spotify’s presence on the market:
- Spotify predicts reaching 407-427 million monthly active users globally by 2021.
- Spotify is set to surpass other top competitors in the coming years, with predictions of reaching 98.8 million users in the U.S. by 2023, as shown below:
Spotify Revenue Numbers
Finally, Spotify uses both Premium subscriptions and ads to generate revenue. Subscriptions make up the largest portion, with $8.15 billion generated of the total $9 billion:
Statistics about Spotify Content
Who tops the Spotify charts?
To wrap up, here are some numbers about Spotify artists and content:
- 100+ songs have passed 1 billion streams on Spotify.
- Spotify added 1,700,000 new podcasts in 2020 alone.
- 60,000 new songs added to Spotify each day as of 2021, equivalent to 22 million per year.
- Nearly 20% of songs available on the app have never been played.
- 50% of Spotify’s top 20 most followed playlists are personalized.
- Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” is the most streamed song in Spotify’s history with 2.7 billion listens.
- Globally, the Joe Rogan Experience is the #1 popular podcast on Spotify.
While top artists and songs change on a weekly and monthly basis, here are the artists with the most monthly listeners of all time on Spotify:
It’s clear that Spotify is a strong market leader with steady growth worldwide. As Spotify expands into 80+ new markets this year, these numbers are sure to spike. Will they reach the goal of 407-427 million monthly active users globally this year? We’ll have to wait and see.