The Internet is now used every day by billions of users all over the world.
It is the infrastructure that lets businesses, governments, and individuals manage everything online.
So to help you stay relevant with continually changing industry trends, we have collected, analyzed and structured in an easy-to-grasp manner the most essential statistics, trends, and data available today about the Internet.
We present all our findings in this post below.
Let’s start with internet user stats first…
Internet Users Statistics
1. In 2019, more than 4.13 billion people used the internet, which means over half the global population has access to the internet now.
2. As of 2020, China has the highest number of internet users globally (with a 59% online penetration and 854 million users).
3. Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East have the highest internet penetration rate at 87.2%, 70.5%, and 69.2%.
4. Countries like India, Bangladesh, Ghana, and Malwai have doubled the number of internet users in the last 3 years alone.
5. Asia has the highest number of internet users at 55% of the total population.
6. Iceland and Denmark are approaching the internet penetration of 100%.
7. In the last 5 years, on average, 640,000 users started using the internet for the first time.
8. 1.15 billion people have access to fixed broadband internet worldwide.
9. 14.5% of the population uses fixed broadband to access the internet.
10. Europe has the highest number of fixed broadband users at 31.9 (rate per 100 inhabitants).
11. 86.6% of American households have internet access.
12. Singapore is leading with the fastest (average) internet speed of 218.07 Mbps, followed by Hong Kong with 205.69 Mbps speed:
13. English is the most commonly used language on the internet.
14. In the US, 98% of users aged 18 to 29 are online.
15. Everyday users spend around 6 hours and 42 minutes online (including mobile devices).
16. Users spend over 140 minutes (2.3 hours) on social media (like Facebook and Twitter).
17. 9 out of every 10 internet users watch videos online, followed by music (70%), vlogs (51%), online radio (47%), and podcasts (39%).
18. Video accounted for 74% of global internet traffic in 2017 and it has increased to 82% in 2020.
19. Google Chrome is the most popular web browser with a market share of 63.8%:
20. Safari is the second most popular web browser with a market share of 17.9%.
21. There are a total of 1,196,298,727 websites on the internet (as of September 2020).
22. 38% of users in Asia and the Middle East region use VPNs to securely connect to the internet.
23. More than 30,000 website hack attempts are recorded every day.
Mobile Internet Statistics
1. Mobile broadband is used by 83% of the global population.
2. 99.1% of users in China use mobile phones to connect to the internet.
3. Global mobile traffic now accounts for over 48.62% of the total internet traffic.
4. 80% of internet users own a smartphone.
5. 3G global mobile subscribers has increased from 1.15 million in 2010 to 4,287 million in 2020.
6. The number of 4G global mobile subscribers has increased from 1.18 million in 2010 to 1,812 million in 2020.
7. The proportion of 4G connections is expected to increase from 23% to 41% that by the end of the decade.
8. South Korea has the fastest (average) mobile internet speed of 113.01 Mbps.
9. The United Arab Emirates has the highest number of mobile internet users.
10. 3 out of every 4 mobile phones use the Android operating system.
11. 8 out of 10 mobile phone users use either Google Chrome or Safari web browsers.
12. In the US, Safari is the leading mobile web browser with a market share of 52.3%, followed by Google Chrome’s 40%.
13. Mobile phones account for 77% of total online time in the US.
14. 54% of users have access to digital content (websites, eBooks, videos, blogs, etc.) on mobile devices.
15. 50% of all the clicks on advertisements on mobile phones are accidental.
16. Of 42% of people who clicked on a mobile ad, 35% visited the advertiser’s page.
Domain Names Statistics
1. 100,000 domain names are deleted every day from the internet.
2. More than 5,000 new domains are registered every hour.
3. There are a total of 1,514 TLDs (top-level domains) available.
4. Only 8 generic TLDs (.com, .org, .net, .edu, .int, .gov, .mil, .info) are maintained by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).
5. Most common domain names TLDs are .com, .net, .org, and .co.
6. Domain names with .com and .net TLDs have 40% (142.5 million) of all the domain registrations.
7. More than 20% of domains are registered in the US.
8. China’s ccTLD .cn is the most popular country-code domain name with 23 million registrations.
9. GoDaddy is the most popular domain registrar with a market share of 15.13%.
10. The most expensive publicly reported business.com domain was sold for $345 million.
Digital Commerce Statistics
1. In 2019, retail eCommerce sales reached 3.53 trillion US dollars.
2. Taobao (Chinese online ecommerce company) is the most popular online marketplace with a GMV (gross merchandise volume) of 538 billion US dollars.
3. Over 50% of internet users now look in the search engines before making a purchase decision.
4. 91% of internet users regularly browse online stores for shopping.
5. Amazon ranked first with a usage rate of 52% in the search engines for shopping-related queries.
6. 95% of Google’s revenue is from its ads business (Google Ads).
7. 25% of small businesses invest in digital marketing.
8. 63% of online shoppers directly go to Amazon to search for products.
9. Mac has the highest average value of online shopping orders worldwide at 132.00 US dollars.
10. Smartphones account for 65% of all ecommerce traffic but generate only 46% of total online orders.
11. Digital and mobile wallets are used by more than 40% of users for online shopping.
12. Online wallets are used for 58% of total ecommerce payments in the Asia Pacific region.
13. Mobile e-commerce revenue is expected to rise from 207.15 billion US dollars in 2018 to 339.03 billion US dollars in 2020.
General (Fascinating) Internet Marketing Statistics & Facts
1. As of July 2020, there were about 4.57 billion active internet users, which rounds up to 59 percent of the world’s population. Cybersecurity Ventures predicts that this number will reach 6 billion by 2022.
2. Over 75% of digital marketers admit that internet advertising campaigns have directly increased their companies’ target revenue.
3. A report from The Drum predicts that the market for digital marketing software will reach $74.96 billion by 2022.
4. During the first quarter of 2020, more than 85,000 B2B and B2C companies set up online stores. The surge in eCommerce launches was due to the Covid-19 lockdown restrictions.
5. A report from Statista shows that as of February 2020, businesses across the US have had a 13% increase in their internet marketing budget, compared to August 2019 (11.8%).
6. Social video ad spending of businesses in the US alone is expected to increase 44% by 2021.
7. Digital marketing spend is expected to grow by 6% in 2020.
8. 50% of B2B sales triggers are made via mobile devices.
Content Marketing Statistics & Trends
1. Websites running blogs have 55% more visitors and 97% more inbound links.
2. According to stellar stats from the Content Marketing Institute (CMI), 91% of B2B companies use content marketing as a strategic approach to reach their target customer base.
3. According to a report from BuildWith, WordPress is the most popular CMS. It powers about 35% of sites on the internet and takes up a 62% market share of websites built using a content management system.
4. Content marketing generates three times more leads than paid ads, according to a report from the Content Marketing Institute. It also costs 62% less than the olds forms of advertising.
5. 77% of internet users actively read blogs.
6. Only 42% of marketers are confident that their content marketing efforts could yield solid results.
7. 60% of B2B marketers upload at least one piece of content per day.
8. 61% of U.S. online shoppers have made a purchase based on positive reviews from a blog.
9. 76% of marketers use organic traffic to measure the success of their content marketing efforts.
10. Blog posts with title lengths between 6-13 words garner the most traffic.
11. A report from Orbit Media suggests that an average blog post should be around 1142 words long.
12. The decision from 61% of consumers to make a purchase is highly driven by custom content, according to Dragon Search Marketing.
13. 65% of people are visual learners and are more likely to remember content that’s presented using infographics.
14. 58% of marketers say that original written content is the most valuable digital asset in their organization.
15. Companies using content marketing increase their overall conversion rate by more than 6x, compared to those that use traditional methods.
16. B2B marketers spend 39% of their internet advertising budget on content marketing since it’s the most effective medium.
SEO & Voice Search Statistics
1. 69.7% of search queries contain 4 words or more.
2. 90.63% of pages don’t get any organic traffic from Google.
3. In 2016, 22 percent of all local searches were voice searches. By the end of 2020, over 50% of all search queries are predicted to be voice-based.
4. And in the US alone, it’s predicted that voice-based e-commerce sales will hit $40 billion by 2022.
5. According to Ahrefs, featured snippets optimize the click-through rate of low-ranking pages by 8.6%.
6. SEO drives over 1000% in search traffic than organic social media marketing.
7. About 92.96% of global internet traffic largely comes from Google Images, Google Maps, and Google Search, according to a report from SparkToro.
8. Companies that appear on the first page of the search engine gain about 92% of traffic from potential shoppers.
9. Slightly over 61% of online businesses highly regard the great need to create solid brand awareness using SEO.
10. Effective SEO leads have the potential to achieve a 14.6% conversion rate.
11. Your brand’s reputation on the search engine is king. About 9 out of 10 (93%) consumers globally, read online reviews before making a decision to purchase from your online store.
12. Off-page SEO techniques such as backlinks, social media posts, and guest posts tend to boost your site’s rankings by 75%.
13. Most visitors don’t spend so much time on promoted content. Organic SEO proves to be 5 times more effective than PPC advertising, and 70% of clicks are usually organic results.
14. If your site isn’t mobile-optimized, there are high chances you might lose out on a lot of potential shoppers. About 51% of consumers trust mobile-friendly websites.
15. Local SEO significantly helps drive shoppers to your business. There’s an 88% chance that consumers who visit a local site via mobile, will contact the business within 24 hours.
16. According to a study from an SEO audit firm, MarketingSherpa, about 46% of B2B marketers consider optimizing landing pages for SEO quite impactful, especially during the entire lead generation process.
17. 9th grade is the typical reading level of a voice search result.
1. E-commerce is growing at a remarkable rate. Shopify, a giant e-commerce platform, predicts that 95% of retail purchases will be made online by 2040.
2. It’s predicted that E-commerce will account for 17% of the retail sales across the US by 2022.
3. Both retail and multi-channel e-commerce stores gain most of their traffic from organic and paid search.
Source: Wolf Gang Digital
4. It’s predicted that global retail e-commerce sales will reach $6.54 trillion by 2022.
5. and this will constitute 20% of total global retail sales (22% in 2023):
E-Commerce Share in Global Retail Sales 2015–2023
6. Gartner, a leading research firm, predicts that 100 million shoppers will use Augmented and virtual reality to make online purchases. However, this move will highly cling to 5G technology, to improve the whole customer experience.
7. The typical conversion rate for e-commerce websites is anywhere between 1-2%, regardless of whether you’re working so hard to put all your marketing efforts in order.
8. There are over 2 billion online shoppers globally.
9. Millennials and Gen X are the most online shoppers. 67% of millennials and 56% of Gen X prefer to shop online than walking into a physical store.
10. A solid study done by DigitalCommerce 360 on consumer behavior concluded that 61% of those who completed the survey don’t shift to other online stores to compare prices or quality once they find the exact product they need.
11. 75% of shoppers expect the seller to offer free shipping.
12. And 17% would bounce from a website if free shipping isn’t included.
13. And about 44% of cart abandonment issues are attributed to long shipping lead times.
14. There are now more cross-border transactions than ever before. 57% of online shoppers across different geo-locations have purchased from an overseas retailer.
Social Media Marketing Statistics & Trends
1. Facebook is the biggest social marketing platform for businesses. So far, there are over 1.69 billion active users on Facebook, according to a report from Statista.
2. Predictions from eMarketer show that 87.1% of marketers will use Facebook to promote products and services in 2020, while the global ad spending on the social platform is expected to reach almost $95 billion in 2021.
3. 98.3% of users access the social platform via a mobile device.
4. While Facebook launched Instagram Reels – a platform that will help brands create short and engaging videos, it’s predicted that 83% of the global internet traffic will be video content by 2022.
5. The number of photos uploaded daily to social media was 1.8 billion in 2014, and Facebook was among the top three social platforms driving image uploads. Today, Facebook is still one of the most used platforms, where people upload and share on average 350 million images per day.
6. A report from TechCrunch found that Facebook Stories has over 500 million users.
7. Instagram, Facebook, and Whatsapp stories, all have the same number of daily users.
8. 81% of businesses would consider marketing their products or services on Facebook using videos.
9. Over 1 billion people actively use Instagram every month.
10. 64% of Instagram users are below 34 years old.
11. A report from Digiday, a digital marketing publication, shows that ad spending on Instagram is higher than Facebook by 23%.
12. Businesses with a social presence on Instagram get almost 37% of impressions from Instagram stories.
13. 72% of teenagers use Instagram, while 69% use Snapchat most often. In the US, 32% of teenagers list Instagram as the most important social network. In this sense, Instagram is ahead of all other social media platforms.
13. LinkedIn has close to 700 million active users, as of April 2020. It’s predicted that the number will grow 4.2% in 2021 to 64.7 million more users.
14. The revenue has been constantly increasing at a rate of 21% every single year.
15. The LinkedIn Marketing Solutions section grows 44% year-after-year.
16. 57% of LinkedIn users are male while 43% are female, according to a gender demographic report by Statista.
17. 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to share their content.
18. 20% of people with smartphones in the US use Twitter so often every month.
19. Roughly, 63% of Twitter users globally are of the age between 35 and 65 years. Compared to Instagram and Snapchat where the average age demographic is widely filled with teenagers and Millenials, Twitter seems to appeal to an audience that’s quite older.
20. Twitter has made 87% of its revenue through advertising services.
21. 38% of marketers are planning to use Twitter as part of their video marketing medium.
22. 67% of all B2B marketers are using Twitter to achieve their digital marketing efforts.
Email Marketing Statistics
1. Today, there are about 3.9 billion email users and the number is set to reach 4.3 billion by 2023.
2. Message customization is the leading strategy used by marketers to boost target audience engagement.
3. For every $1 you spend on email marketing, chances are you’ll roughly rake in an ROI of $42.
4. 87% of marketers use email marketing as a content distribution channel.
5. While users read 57% of their personal emails, they only regard 37% of them useful.
6. There’s an 82.57% chance users will open a welcome email, but the click-through rate will only reach 22.76%.
7. 51% of consumers prefer if companies contacted them via email, even more so, when the message is personalized.
8. 40% of marketers admit that email marketing is the most effective medium to boost lead generation quality.
9. 81% of SMBs still depend on email marketing as their customer acquisition technique, while 80% believe it’s perfect for retention.
10. Marketers prefer to send between three-to-five emails to their customers every week.
11. Emails with customized subject lines boost the open rate by 50%.
12. There’s a 69% chance a customer will place an order if you send three cart abandonment recovery emails.
13. Embedding videos on promotional emails increases the click-through rate by 300%.
14. 49% of customers would love to receive promotional emails from their favorite brands every week.
Affiliate & Influencer Marketing Statistics
1. Almost two-thirds (65%) of marketers are planning to increase their influencer marketing budget in 2020. The budget is expected to hit $9.7 billion this year.
2. About 44% of Generation Z depends on influencers to make a buying decision.
3. 70% of millennials who are subscribed to YouTube channels trust influencers a lot more than celebrities.
4. 89% of marketers admit that the ROI of influencer marketing is much better in comparison to earnings from other marketing techniques.
5. 91% of consumers admit that a positive online review would influence their purchasing decision.
6. Instagram (89%) tops the list as the most effective social media channel for influencer marketing.
7. 78% of marketers consider sponsored Instagram posts as the most popular format for influencer marketing and audience engagement.
8. 71% of consumers will unfollow an influencer found using fraudulent techniques to gain popularity, say, buying fake followers.
Paid Advertising (PPC) Statistics & Trends
1. Paid search advertising on mobile devices is set to hit $240 billion by 2022.
2. By 2021, global digital advertising across all social platforms will to reach $375 billion.
3. 63% of mobile users said that they would click on a Google ad.
4. A third (33%) of internet users would click on an ad because it faultlessly answers their search query.
5. 50% of visitors that arrive at a retailer’s product page via a paid ad link are more likely to purchase a product or service than organic visitors.
6. Even after hitting pause on ad spending, 89% of the traffic generated won’t be replaced by organic results.
In the last few decades, the Internet has opened up a new world for many people worldwide.
A few more internet statistics: it is estimated that by 2021, over 2.14 billion people globally will buy products and services online, up from 1.66 billion digital buyers in 2016.
So, it’s no secret that there’s massive potential on the Internet. The good news is that you can unlock a lot of opportunities (like starting a personal or business website) the Internet provides with the help of data we have provided in this post.
- World Bank
- Internet World Stats