This year, Telegram has seen a boom in popularity. In case you haven’t heard of Telegram, it’s a messaging app like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.
For these reasons, Telegram saw a 100 million user boom this year and is poised to become even more popular as users get frustrated with competitors.
To better understand Telegram’s growth, let’s go over the latest Telegram statistics.
Top Telegram Statistics
It’s clear: Telegram has seen huge growth this year.
To put it in perspective, Telegram has reached the following milestones:
- 500 million monthly active users
- 8.7% of the population is an active Telegram user
- Telegram users are now expected to reach 1 billion users by 2022
- Telegram has a $30 billion valuation, as of January 2021
This year’s growth rate has been particularly high, with a 25% year-over-year increase.
Just like past years, Telegram is steadily winning over active users:
Statistics for Telegram Usage
Source: We Are Social
- Telegram is ranked #11 in the world’s most used social platforms.
- In January 2021, it was ranked #1 downloaded app in the World with 63 million installs (which is 3.8x more compared to January 2020).
- It was ranked #9 downloaded app overall (by lifetime number of downloads).
Statistics for Active Telegram Users
Even though Telegram doesn’t reach the same usage as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or WeChat yet, it’s building in popularity.
Here are some numbers to give a picture of its active user base:
- 500 million monthly active users.
- 55.2 million daily active users.
- 100 million new users joined Telegram in January 2021.
- 1.5 million new users join every day (according to a 2020 official Telegram report).
- 15 billion daily messages sent (according to a 2016 Telegram report).
- Average Telegram user sends 150 messages per day.
Statistics for User Behavior on Telegram
Moreover, Telegram’s user behavior is interesting to look at.
Here are some statistics about how users take advantage of Telegram.
Source: We Are Social
- Average time per user is 2.9 hours/month.
- Users demographics include 41.4% female users and 58.6% male users.
- 85% of Telegram users have Android devices.
Telegram Popularity by Country
Depending on location, Telegram ranges in popularity worldwide. In fact, there are nine countries where Telegram is the #1 messaging app, including:
Remember that Telegram still has high penetration in other countries as well.
Russia has the highest penetration at 36%. Some statistics about Russia as a Telegram leader include:
- 30 million active users in Russia.
- 5.6 million unique downloads between January – March 2021.
- 7.5% of worldwide Telegram user base.
In addition to Russia, other countries have high Telegram penetration, including Italy and Spain. Some highlights include:
- Italy has a 32% and Spain a 25% Telegram penetration rate.
- Italy has 9 million monthly active users and Spain 6.5 million, as of January – March 2021.
To wrap up, other figures about Telegram worldwide include:
- In 2021, 38% of users are from Asia, 27% are from Europe, 21% from Latin America and 8% from MENA.
- Telegram installs were the highest in January 2021 for India at 24%, followed by Indonesia at 10%.
- Telegram was the most downloaded social media app in 20 countries in 2020.
- Just 1.4% of American users were using this app (according to 2018 report).
- In Brazil, 29.4% of social media users use Telegram.
- 18 million users currently have Telegram in Uzbekistan.
- Lifetime installs in Hong Kong have increased to 1.7 million.
Statistics for Telegram Features
Finally, there are some interesting statistics about Telegram’s features, such as:
- 20,000 stickers are available.
- 13 languages are available.
- $0 spent on advertising.
Some popular Telegram channels include Telegram Tips at 6.7 million followers, Bollywood HD Movies at 4.1 million followers and Bitcoin News at 2.5 million followers.
What’s more, Telegram channels are also quite popular with politicians.
Here’s a list of leaders with high numbers of followers on Telegram:
At this rate, Telegram will continue to rise as a messenger app. With its commitment to privacy and user experience, it’s no wonder users are keen on switching to Telegram.
As Telegram keeps growing, we’ll get even more amazing statistics about this messenger app. We’ll keep an eye on it!
We Are Social, Digital 2021, https://wearesocial.com/digital-2021
Similar Web, Most Popular Messaging Apps (Around the Globe), https://www.similarweb.com/corp/blog/research/market-research/worldwide-messaging-apps/
Telegram, The Evolution of Telegram, https://telegram.org/evolution?setln=en
Telegram, 400 Million, https://telegram.org/blog/400-million
Telegram, 15 Billion Telegrams, https://telegram.org/blog/15-billion
Sensor Tower, Top Apps Worldwide for January 2021, https://sensortower.com/blog/top-apps-worldwide-january-2021-by-downloads
Sensor Tower, Hong Kong, https://sensortower.com/blog/hong-kong-protests-app-downloads
CyberCrew, Telegram Statistics, https://cybercrew.uk/blog/telegram-statistics/
The Bell, Telegram at $30B, https://thebell.io/en/telegram-at-30bln/
Telegram Analytics, Largest Catalog, https://tgstat.com/
Medium, Telegram Success in Uzbekistan, https://medium.com/@Ubaydullaev.kh/opening-our-eyes-we-open-telegram-the-success-story-of-the-messenger-in-uzbekistan-f7d21bf0ed46
MSPowerUser, Telegram Announces 400 Million Users, https://mspoweruser.com/telegram-announce-400-million-users-plans-group-video-calls/
Android Police, Telegram Now Has 100 Million Monthly Active Users, https://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/23/telegram-now-has-100-million-monthly-active-users-and-delivers-15-billion-daily-messages/
Statista, Telegram Messenger MAU users, https://www.statista.com/statistics/234038/telegram-messenger-mau-users/
Backlinko, Telegram Users, https://backlinko.com/telegram-users