➜ Quick answers:
🗄️ How Much Data is Created Every Day?
2.5 quintillion bytes of data is being created every day.
📝 How Much Content is Created Every Day?
Machine-generated raw data accounted for over 40% of internet data in 2020.
As for the content (which is defined as digestible forms of information generated by humans), out of 2.5 quintillion data bytes created daily, around 60% of content was uploaded by humans. This makes up to 1.5 quintillion bytes of content every day.
Every day we are online, watching YouTube videos, reading blog posts, news articles, checking social media and so on. In other words, every single day we are “consuming content”.
But do you wonder how much data and content is actually out there?
We’ll explore this question through a few statistics and hopefully give you an idea of just how big the online world really is in this post.
How Much Data and Content Do We Create and Consume?
1. The total amount of data created and replicated globally has increased from 2 zettabytes to 64.2 zettabytes over the last decade and it’s estimated to reach 181 zettabytes by 2025.
Amount of data created, consumed, and stored 2010-2025
2. A single person creates 1.7MB of data per second and we produce 2.5 quintillion data bytes each day.
3. China has the fastest-growing Datasphere in the world, followed by EMEA, APJxC and the US.
4. Google, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft combined store 1,200 petabytes of data.
5. Users upload 500 hours of video on YouTube per minute according to YouTube’s Official Blog. An average user, aged 18 and above spends 41.9 minutes a day on YouTube. This includes all devices, desktop, laptop, mobile, etc.
6. Over 100 billion WhatsApp messages are sent every day and users spend 2+ billion minutes on video and voice calls per day.
7. When it comes to the number of data servers big data companies own, Amazon has 1,400,000 servers, while Google and Microsoft also have over a million servers.
8. Not surprisingly, Google stores the most data on its servers, around 10 exabytes (EB). 1EB = 1e+10GB.
9. Every day, there are 60,000 new songs on Spotify (that’s 22 million per year).
10. Approximately 90% of Internet users watch videos online, 70% listen to music, 51% vlogs, 47% online radio and 39% podcasts.
11. 5G technology can increase data transmission speeds by as much as 100X and decrease latency from 20 milliseconds (ms) to just 1ms (which means we can consume content even faster).
12. 56.8 exabytes of mobile data in total is sent and received each month and it’s expected to overpass 75 exabytes in the next year.
13. Every day, almost 320 billion emails are sent worldwide in 2021. That number will reach close to 380 billion in five years.
14. ICD estimates that by 2025, around 6 billion (that’s 75% of the world’s population) consumers will interact with data every day, compared to 5 billion in 2018.
15. According to the same research, each connected person will have a digital data engagement over 4,900 times per day in 2025 (that’s about 1 digital interaction every 18 seconds).
Data affects our lives in more ways than we can imagine and every year we consume more and more of it.
In fact, if you think that we create a lot of data now, get ready for a surprise. Based on the amount of data we generate online, it’s estimated that we’ll produce 463EB of data per day by 2025!
What do you think about how these numbers? Surprised? Let us know in the comments below.
- Handbook of Research on Cloud Infrastructures for Big Data Analytics